For those of you who are wondering, I am still in love with my crock pot. Like all my obsessions, it will fade out eventually I'm sure but as for now, we're going strong! :)
I've made some pretty great stuff...and some stuff that still needs some work. But I'm having a blast trying it all out. I made a vegetable curry that was pretty darn good, but could improve to higher levels with some tweaking. I made the brown sugar chicken that Karen made in NY and got almost as good reviews as she did. I did barbecue pork chops that seemed to make the guys happy. I'm still wanting to venture into soups and hopefully I will soon. Right now I've got some applesauce (oh, I also made apple crisp in there already & it was all right, but I've certainly had better)cooking away in there. I'll probably end up eating it for breakfast and loving it! ;)
One of my successes has been mashed potatoes. This might be one of my favorites because, quite frankly, mashed potatoes will probably always be one of my favorites, but no matter the reason, it's darn good stuff. I took a recipe I recently got from a friend for mashed potatoes and altered it to make in the crock pot. Simple, completely fattening, and tasty as all heck. :)
For anyone who's interested, here's the recipe, more or less (since I don't exactly measure when I cook)...
I cut up about 10 small red potatoes, added a good solid shake of salt, several grinds of black pepper (the more pepper the better I say!), a half pint of heavy cream (yes, heavy cream!), and a whole stick of butter (again, just do it and forget how bad it is for you!). Several hours later I had cooked potatoes floating in what seemed like way too much liquid, but once I started mashing, I soon realized it was perfect for some super creamy, extra yummy taters. I definitely recommend giving it a whirl!
The potatoes were delicious as is since they already have plenty of butter and seasoning mixed in, but Matt added parmesan cheese and swears it makes them even better! I could imagine a lot of variations on this that would all make me very happy! :)
So go forth all and try this...Enjoy!! :)
Sunday, April 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have to find a good crock pot cookbook. Geez, where would I look?! The only one I have is about 20 years old and full of stuff I would never make. Ick.
ReplyDelete