Just got back from a WONDERFUL weekend in Dallas! My (totally awesome) sister graduated from law school and Gage and I were lucky enough to get to go to Texas for the commencement. I'm tired (as I often am when I return from traveling) but thought I'd post some random comments.
The commencement: It was about 1 hour and 45 minutes long. Which means about 1 hour and 44 minutes of it was pretty much irrelevant to us. So what minute do you think my son chose to have to go to the restroom? You guessed it. He got his Uncle Jude to take him to the bathroom - and during the 3 minutes they were out of the room, my sister's name got called and she got her diploma (or rolled up letter saying a diploma is on the way.) So they missed the big moment. Bummer.
Winnie: Uncle Jude and Aunt Lindsay got a new dog. The cutest, best behaved dog ever. Gage loved the dog! So much that Gage was hanging out in his doghouse (at least it was a nice doghouse!) and did not want to leave her alone for a minute. I'm pretty sure Gage and Winnie are friends for the long haul! We miss Winnie already (and Boo the cat, too - we love the kitty also, of course!)
iPad: Don't think this even needs comment. Gage loved it. Gage didn't want to part with it. Gage hardly put it down all weekend. I was pretty sure Gage was going to try to sneak it into his suitcase. I haven't unpacked yet. I can't confirm that he didn't do just that. (Sorry, Peter, you may be missing something...)
Music: Anne helped me with the May mix. It's a good one, people! We were up at 2 a.m. putting it together, but I think we did a fine job of it, if I do say so myself! Thanks, Anne. You rock. But that's nothing new.
Mary Poppins: Why is it that whenever I go to Dallas for an event, it rains on the big day? Luckily my dad had bought out the local CVS of umbrellas for Jude & Lindsay's wedding and Anne still had on hand for the graduation. Windy, rainy, chilly. Just what you always think Texas should be. But after the rain stopped, most of us put our umbrellas away. Not Gage. He insisted on using an umbrella the whole rest of the (precipitation-less) weekend. We started calling him Mary Poppins - and he embraced it! Even though he apparently doesn't know who Mary Poppins is...we'll have to take care of that I guess!
Late nights: My kid is crazy! Long after all of the rest of the house was asleep, he was searching for electronics to use. He woke me up in his search. He was wide awake and still going strong...at 3:30 a.m.! This should be an interesting transition back to a normal schedule. Yikes.
Surprises: Jim came to Dallas to surprise Anne. He got the surprise of a canceled flight and an extra day in Texas. Hillary and Baby Shayne surprised us all (and themselves a bit, too) by spending a couple of days in Dallas on their way back from Houston (canceled flight again). We couldn't have enjoyed these surprises more! Seeing Jim & Hillary was fantastic, but Baby Shayne is where it's at, people! :)-
Food: Peter, just for the record, it is not forgotten that you tried everyone else's Pei Wei but mine!
Garden: We came home today to a great surprise...nice, red strawberries in the garden! Plus radishes ready to pick - and lots of pretty green plants. There must have been some good rain while we were gone because the last few days seem to have been kind to the garden. Bonus.
Ok, I could go on and on...and most certainly will continue to do so later. But for now, this has gotten long so I shall wrap it up and rest a bit before getting ready for work.
Anyone wanna come unpack for me?! :)
Sunday, May 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Umm, you forgot to mention the joys of Washington Journal!
ReplyDelete