Tuesday, April 6, 2010

It's Project Runway time! :)

Of course I have comments on last week's episode - and I'm sure you're all dying to hear them! Here I go...

Anthony - Loved this dress. Was probably my favorite. Not surprised Jessica Alba wants to wear it. However, I am surprised that making a dress that Jessica Alba wants to wear on a challenge that is to make a dress that Heidi Klum wants to wear gives you a win. I'm confused, but whatever. The double win thing this season is new, but they seem to like it. Looks like Anthony can do a Mila design - and do it better than Mila! :) Kudos, girlfriend! My one issue with the dress...did anyone else notice that the top did not fit? The white part needs some serious tweaking. Oh, and if you remember that the challenge was a dress for Heidi, I'm not thinking this dress could hold her "girls" if you know what I mean. Despite all that, great dress and I envy Jessica Alba for getting to be the one to show it on the red carpet.

Emilio - There's no way around it. This dress is so well made and glamorous. It would work perfectly for red carpet. It's the right dress for the challenge. Not a lot negative I can say about the dress at all. I think it's pretty clear he's one of the strongest designers there. Too bad his cocky attitude is starting to wear thin. I'm such a fan of his work - just wish I could be a fan of his personality. Oh well. Either way, the guy deserves the win and, while it's a little too sparkly for my personal taste, the gown will look gorgeous on the red carpet. Fine work, my friend. Can't wait to see your collection because with work like this, I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing you at Bryant Park! ;)

Jay - Well, I have to say that I found this dress the most interesting and I think there's something to be said for that. I didn't hate it, I just didn't get it for the red carpet. Honestly, I don't even think it's that much of a long shot for Heidi - just not for such an event. But he plays with shape and makes interesting pieces - and with Maya gone & Jonathan off, he's really the last one left that does it. He's been missing the mark a little too much lately though. But I hope he hangs in there because I definitely think his collection would be interesting to see (but I must admit that I doubt it'd be the best).

Jonathan - Hmm. What to say about this one. First of all, there was nothing red carpet about it. That was the biggest issue in my opinion. It was way too short - and I understand that he ran out of fabric, but could he not rip some of the material off of one of the two dresses he made before this? Now, for as fast as he whipped off this dress - and after draining creativity on two other dresses first - it's impressive. The judges loved the back. I thought it was ok. The judges hated the front. I thought it was ok. Funny thing, if there is anyone I could see actually wearing this dress (in a different color perhaps), it's Heidi. I think it's interesting that he said he was going to try to make something he didn't like since the judges think that what he likes is ugly. I think he knew he was probably going home this challenge. I think it might be his punishment for dropping Cerri!

Mila - Seriously, is anyone else baffled by how much Anthony's dress looked like a Mila design and Mila's dress looked like an Anthony design? And she has Anthony's model. This is creeping me out! She is using the same basic, simple silhouette that Anthony got criticized for before getting the boot (and then returning!) and I have to wonder where she was for that. Do you think if someone got out for a basic dress, should you replicate it...for the red carpet challenge? What is going on here, people? So, yeah, Anthony's basic dress, but she did still incorporate some Mila style color blocking. I found nothing interesting about the front of this dress, but I did like the back. BUT it's NOT RED CARPET! Did everyone miss the explanation of the challenge this week or what? I'm so confused. Anyway, well made but pretty boring on this one.

Seth Aaron - This dress is good, but I wouldn't have put it in the top two. I give it a firm third place, and that's only because no one else (except our 2 winners) actually even made a red carpet dress so it's kinda no contest on SA being next in line. I see Seth Aaron in this design (and, in my opinion, that's never a bad thing) but I wish I saw something a little more "wow!" I guess. I feel like this is good, but Seth can do better. Oddly enough, I do see Heidi in this dress. I could see her wearing it - but I would expect her to wear it in a red or something. I personally think black (or midnight blue) is always a great choice for a gown, but maybe Seth Aaron should've tried for a little more punch with the color. But I think Cerri looked great. I will mention that some people thought it looked dominatrix. I will mention this because they said that I should. I will also mention that I do not necessarily see that myself (although I assume they are getting this from the straps on the front bodice). I will admit that the front of this dress looks a little "tougher" than I would choose for the red carpet, but the back of this dress is very pretty. Good job, Seth. Just not as great as I would've expected.

Maya - We miss you! I'm a little perplexed (and I think irritated) by her decision to leave at this stage of the game. At first, I was really annoyed that she'd get this far and then just back out, but after watching I will say that she made a good point. She doesn't want to build a collection and show it at Bryant Park if it doesn't truly reflect her as a designer and if she doesn't know who she is as a designer, that's exactly what she's at risk of doing. But apparently she was fine with putting garments on national tv that may or may not represent her? I wish she had thought about this before auditioning for the show. She took a spot that could've gone to another hopeful who was ready to stick it out. Oh well. She's good. I think she could've made it to fashion week. But this decision she's made kinda defines her as a designer to me. I never felt like she quite put enough into her garments (which always seemed to have so much potential) and now I see what was missing was heart, desire, motivation. It was lacking and it showed each week. I didn't realize that was it until she announced it to the world. Unfortunately, fashion is a cut throat business and I think she might have cut her own. But I hope not. I hope she takes some time to really analyze what she wants and who she is as a designer and then comes back better than ever. Good luck, Maya!

It was a crazy week in the workroom and my head is left spinning a little. I don't know what's in store for us this week, but I can't wait to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment